From the writer of the award-winning food blog Harvest and Honey, including Saveur Best Blog finalist
Showcasing the flavors and modern cooking techniques of Appalachia and the Blue Ridge Mountains: With over 70 delectable recipes and 80 stunning photographs organized by seasons, Smoke, Roots, Mountain, Harvest is an evocative cookbook rooted in Appalachian ingredients and flavors that takes readers and cooks deep into the heart and soul of America. Lauren McDuffie uses modern cooking techniques to transform traditional comfort food with a mountain sensibility into inspired meals and menus for anyone.
- Each chapter opens with storytelling that echoes the folklore and tall tales of the region.
- Beautiful color photographs capture mouthwatering dishes for all occasions—from morning beverages to a show-stopping berry buckle—as well as the tools, fruits, flowers, and scenery of life in the Mountain South.
- From the mountains of southwestern Virginia, Lauren McDuffie is a writer, food stylist, photographer, and creator of the blog Harvest and Honey.
"Smoke, Roots, Mountain, Harvest is a brilliant ode to the Appalachians. Lauren's storytelling and dazzling photographs are only eclipsed by her inventive, sumptuous recipes. A true masterpiece!" —Sonja Overhiser, Author of Pretty Simple Cooking and creator of the blog A Couple Cooks
- Menu suggestions and wine pairings encompass a variety of meal occasions, from small plates to soups, salads, mains, sides, drinks, dessert, along with tips and techniques on canning, pickling, and preserving.
- Mouthwatering recipes include Shaved Summer Squash Salad with Pickled Pepper Vinaigrette, Slow-Roasted Onion and Golden Apple Soup, Baked Pork Chops with Cran-Apple Moonshine Compote, Drunken Short Ribs with Smoky Gouda Grits and Mountain Gremolata, Pan-Seared Carrots with Bourbon-Maple Glaze, Triple Orange Cake with Honey-Lavender Buttercream, and many more.